Sermon Notes 6 June 2021
Speaker: Mr Danny Chua (3 pm & 5 pm)
#GettingReal About Singleness
1 Corinthians 7
Truth #1: Singleness is a gift from God – just as marriage is
- Lie #1: “Singleness is a curse Christians need to get out of ASAP”
- “Each has his own gift from God one of one kind and one of another” (v.6-7)
- ‘Paul’s Remain Rule’: “Lead the life that the Lord has assigned and called you to!” (v.17)
Truth #2: Marriage is just as hard – if not harder – than singleness!
- Lie #2: “Marriage would be so much easier than singleness”
- The “worldly troubles” of marriage (v. 28-35)
- The ‘one-flesh’ commitment in marriage is heavy! (Matt. 19:3-12)
Conclusion: What ultimately matters?
- Securing our undivided devotion to the Lord (v.35) because…
- This temporal age is passing away (v.29,31)
- What was one thing about the sermon and testimonies that struck or surprised you?
- How has 1 Cor 7 challenged your existing views about Christian singleness (or marriage)?
- In what ways do you think Christians in general have made it harder for singles among us to be a part of the church family or even thrive in the life God has assigned them?
- What are some practical ways we can shape Christian community to be a true, spiritual family for singles in (i) our Action Groups, and (ii) our Congregations?