Sermon Notes 24 July 2022
Speaker: Mr Quek Tze-Ming
Engaging Culture & Society
1 Peter 2:9-12
- …the boy who lived …
- What’s this got to do with “Everyone Missional Everywhere?”
What is Culture?
- Culture as work (what we freely make)
- Culture as world (what we use to make sense of the world)
What does Culture Do?
- Culture Communicates Meaning
- Culture Shapes Sensibilities
- Culture Replicates Itself
What do we do about (Pop) Culture?
- Discernment (Listening) … leading to
- Engagement (Responding)
Stories from Pop Culture
- … the doctor who died …
- How do we make this “Everyone Missional Everywhere”?
Questions for Reflection:
- What struck you most in this sermon about culture?
- What aspect of popular culture are you involved in most (e.g., food, movies, music, cycling, etc.)?
- In what ways have any of these shaped you; whether negatively or positively towards God and His kingdom?
- How may this aspect of popular culture be a bridge for your interaction (i.e., being missional!) with more people?